The GMS Library is closed for the summer. Please visit the Greenfield Public Library!

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Hole in my life

In Great Stories Club, we are reading Jack Gantos' Hole in my life.

At the beginning of the book, Gantos quotes Oscar Wilde: "I have learned this: it is not what one does that is wrong, but what one becomes as a consequence of it."

On p.7, Gantos says his father said this: "These folks zigged when the rest of the world zagged. And once you cross the line, there's no coming back."

Think about these 2 opinions. Which do you agree with? Why? Is there a line which once you cross it, you can never be a regular, decent person again? How do you think all those people Jack's dad pointed out would feel about being known only for the things they've done wrong?

1 comment:

GMS Librarian said...

i was so sad and depressed when i was in the slammer. i missed my freedom. i knew i
would never go back. i did what i had to do. i dont want to go back but if i have to i
will. Sports and my girlfriend is helping me stay out of trouble.